Blog #1. Sportsmanship and Discipline

   
    
    Every athlete knows the feeling of playing that final game and what it means to leave your heart out on the field. I started playing softball when I was eight years old. I can't remember why I fell in love with this sport, but when it was my time to finally hang up my cleats, I didn't know all those years of playing taught me some valuable life lessons. Those years of playing a sport I loved, helped shape me into the person I am today. When I joined a little league team, I had no idea what an impact it would leave on me years later.
    I joined a travel team when I was ten years old that played all year around, which I did until I went to High School and made the varsity team as a Freshman. Those four years of High School ball were the BEST. My teammates and I build an unbreakable bond, we all respected each other and also respected the other teams. Taking knees when someone got injured and tapping hands at the end of the game made me realize that we were all here to play ball and may the best team win. Still to this day, there are games and certain plays that I wish I could go back to and change. But even then, losing a good game pushed me to become a better player. 
    Teammates hold certain memories together and regard each other with a different level of respect. They push each other to play better, have the others back, and all share a one common goal. Work together to win. Something that I didn't realize until years later, was playing on a team, respecting each other and pushing every person on the team to become better, taught me discipline. 
    In 2017, I joined the United States Air Force and became a Security Forces Member. If it wasn't for playing a sport that taught me certain life lesson, I would of struggled to commit myself and serve my country. I served six years and was stationed at two different locations. If it wasn't for the people I served with, whom now I considered family, my experiences would of been completely different. We held each other accountable, and did whatever needed to be done to complete our mission. Having years of experience playing softball and understanding that you are only as strong as your weakest link, pushed me to be a better Airman. 
    Sports teach young adults valuable life lessons and better prepares them for adulthood. Physical activities also help kids stay active and fit. I believe every child should play a sport or be apart of an extracurricular activity. This helps build character and gives them a purpose. Also, having experiences of playing on a team, having life-long friends, and memories of certain games and plays, is something I believe everyone should have. 



Comments